What information we collect
We collect personal and non-personal data from you when you use our Platform. Personal Data is data that includes a personal identifier like your name, email or address, phone number, IP address or device identifier, or is data that could reasonably be linked back to you. It also may include demographic information, geolocation information, educational information, or commercial information as described below.
We may also collect your device ID, device type, geo-location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information such as any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our website or indirectly through your use of our website or online presence or through other websites or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; or any other personal information that may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with us.You need to have an account to use Headstart. You can create an account on Headstart as a student seeking a job or career advice or as an employer looking for exciting new talent. You may also create an account as a career center or school employee or as an invited mentor.
Student or alumni data:
From employer reviews
We receive any personal information you choose to include in submitted employer reviews. Headstart collects this information even if the review is not published or made public.
From communications, transcripts or recordings
We receive and store personal information when you choose to participate in a video or audio meeting or call or webinar initiated through the Headstart Platform or when you choose to communicate with other users by way of video, audio, or messaging during any Headstart video or audio conference or call (collectively, “Headstart”). By participating in Headstart, you are giving Headstart consent to store the content and recordings of any Headstart data. For audio or video recordings, you will receive a notification (visual or otherwise) when recording is enabled, and you should leave the meeting or webinar if you do not consent to being recorded. If we use a third party video and/or communications service provider to facilitate Headstart, that service provider may not use your personal information or the content of the communications for any purpose other than to provide the service to us.
From third parties
We may receive additional information about you from other schools, social media websites, alumni or career counseling organizations, or from other sources.
Usage and log data
When you visit headstart.careers, we log and store your IP Address and technical information about your visit like your browser type and how you progressed through the Site, where you abandoned it, etc. (“Usage Data”).
We collect analytic information about your device, such as IP address, OS version, and clickstream.
When Employers create a Headstart Employer Account, we request contact information, including email address and telephone numbers, to provide a point of contact for Universities and our administrative staff and which is made available on your public profile. We will not use your phone number to send any commercial or marketing messages not related to your use of Headstart Platforms to you without your express consent.
How do we collect personal information?
We may collect personal information either directly from you, or from third parties. We may collect this information when you:register on our website or in person;communicate with us through correspondence, email, or when you share information with us from other social applications, services or websites such as Facebook and Linkedin; orinteract with our sites, employees, services, content and advertising.
How we use your personal data
We use, process and store your Personal Data to provide the Headstart Platform and to maximize opportunities to connect you with potential employers.
- Allowing you to apply to employment opportunities so that employers may contact you.
- Allowing employers to view your profile including and personal information you have provided, to head hunt you for employment opportunities or any other requirements.
- Providing services such as allowing you to make appointments with career center professionals or signing up for career fairs and other events.
- Delivering job opportunities and communications from potential employers by email in accordance with your account settings and communication preferences.
- Allowing you to contact employers and employers to contact you through the Headstart Platform, including by way of messaging, audio and video conferencing, and webinars.
- Allowing you to post reviews and other content on employers and employment experiences.
- Allowing you to apply, or applying on your behalf to job opportunities.
- Personalizing the Platform. For example, we may suggest employers to you based on the information in your resume or the demographic information you provide or suggest students with public profiles to employers based on search criteria.
- Contacting you about additional Headstart or Partner services you might be interested in, unless you opt-out.
- Researching new ways to improve the Headstart Platform.
Sometimes, we may not be able to provide you with access to all of your personal information and, where this is the case, we will tell you why. We may also need to verify your identity when you request your personal information.If you think that any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
When we may share your personal data
We will only share your personal data under the following circumstances:
- With vendors that are contractually engaged to provide us with services, such as cloud service providers, Headstart Communications related telecommunications services, and other services for maintaining our systems, order fulfillment, email management and credit card processing. These companies are obligated by contract to safeguard any personal data they receive from us.
- With vendors that are contractually engaged to provide us with services, such as order fulfillment, email management and credit card processing. These companies are obligated by contract to safeguard any personal data they receive from us.
- With relevant law enforcement bodies if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, valid legal process (e.g., subpoenas or warrants served on us), or governmental or regulatory request, to enforce or to protect the security or integrity of the Headstart Platform, and/or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Headstart, its employees, users, or others. If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
When we use and share non-personal data
Non-personal data is data that itself cannot reasonably be linked back to you or data that is combined with other data in a way that cannot reasonably be linked back to you. We use and share your non-personal, de-identified or aggregated data in a variety of ways to help our Partners and the public understand trends in the job seeking market through analytics reports, statistics and other metrics and guides. For example, to understand:
- What percentage of students from certain colleges work in a specific geographic area.
- Whether a certain major or extra-curricular activity fits well with a particular employer’s hiring patterns.
-How employers compare to each other in the number of applicants they receive from different colleges.
As a Site visitor, we place a small piece of software referred to as a “session cookie” on your computer. If you use the Platforms and create an account, we also use this cookie to recognize you on return visits and expedite the login process. You can remove this and other cookies through your browser preferences menu, though the exact method varies depending on the type of browser you use – but note that you won’t be able to log into our service if your cookies are disabled. If you visit from a mobile device, we may reference your device identifier or other information about where your visit originated.
Our email communications contain web beacons or similar technology which track when the email has been opened or read. This functionality sends the resulting records back to our Platform, which may be associated with other information you have provided us.
Storage, security and how to remove your information
While we take reasonable precautions against possible security breaches, no website or internet transmission is completely secure and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss or other breach will never occur. In the event of a breach, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify affected individuals in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Do not track signals
We are currently unable to respond to Do Not Track signals that may be sent by some browsers.
De-activating your account or deleting your personal data
You can choose to deactivate your account so that you are no longer viewable on the Platform. You may also request Headstart delete information about you, however we may be obligated as a service provider to your college or university to retain certain data about you.
If you wish to deactivate your account, please get in contact with us and we will make reasonable efforts to complete this within 12 months of receiving the request .T
Third party links
The Platforms may contain links to and from third party websites of our Employer and University Partners or other Headstart Partners. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. We also cannot be responsible for your personal data that you submit to employers using the Platforms. Please check their individual policies before you submit any information to those websites.
Minors under 16 are not permitted to use our Site without express parental consent to both use the Platforms and be bound by our Terms of Service and this Policy. We do not intentionally collect information from minors under 13. If you believe we have collected any personal information from a child younger than 13 years of age, please notify us immediately here and we will take reasonable measures to remove that information from our systems.
Headstart provides the ability for employers to pay schools for collateral expenses, such as hosting a booth at a career fair, through the use of a third party payment processor. Headstart does not collect or use any of that payment information. If an employer has any conflicts regarding the method of payment acceptance, they should contact the school. Headstart claims no responsibility or liability for payment transactions.
New course alerts, discounts and free lessons